Anyone who watches TV will have seen numerous reports of accidents involving a drunk driver. There are more drivers on the road right now who are impaired by alcohol or drugs than most people realize.
* After drunk drivers have been convicted of DUI (driving while intoxicated), up to 75% will continue to drive on a suspended license.
* An even more frightening fact is that according to data compiled by the FBI, CDC, and others, the typical drunk driver has driven while intoxicated more than 80 times before their first arrest.
Drunk Drivers Face Criminal Charges
Maryland has more severe penalties for drunk driving than many other states. However, even in Maryland, a first offender will not always be sent to jail. Keep in mind that first offender only means that this is someone’s first conviction for DUI. No one knows how many times a particular driver had driven drunk in the past. If someone is injured or killed in a crash caused by a drunk driver, that driver could face up to five years in prison.
The Victim’s Right to Compensation
The victims of drunk drivers deserve compensation for their injuries. Every drunk driving accidents attorney has witnessed the devastating impact severe injuries have on a person’s life and family. In some respects, it seems as though anyone injured by the drunk driver is almost forgotten for a while.
Usually, the criminal case will take precedence over a personal injury case filed on behalf of an injured victim. It’s useful to have a guilty verdict in a criminal case to use later in a personal injury case, but the injured person has medical bills piling up now.
An experienced drunk driving accidents attorney will handle the complex issues, including:
* Coordinating the outcome of the criminal with your personal injury case.
* Seeking restitution for you in the sentencing phase after the driver has been found guilty in court.
* Obtaining the field sobriety test results and other evidence from the criminal case to help establish liability in your personal injury case and insurance claim against the driver’s insurance policy.
The law offices of Stephen A. Markey III, P.C. supports the rights of DUI victims by offering the legal assistance they need to receive the compensation they deserve. These experienced attorneys have the knowledge and skills needed during these complex situations. Visit Markeylawfirm.com to schedule a free initial consultation.
Like us on Facebook!
Be the first to like.